Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Selling drugs or selling our souls?

So--to all 2 people who read this blog, what do you think about vets selling drugs?

Perhaps this is more of problem in the equine part of the industry, but commonly I am asked to sell drugs to people who like to "play" veterinarian. They are diagnosing and treating their own horses. One guy today was injecting his own joints! He wanted me to sell him all the necessary drugs, sedation, and syringes for him to do it. Maybe I'm just being a prick, but if I'm going to do that, then I'm going to inject the joint too-- then at least I know it's being done correctly, humanely, and cleanly. Furthermore, if there are complications (let's say at 12am, because they're never at normal times), do I have any obligation to help these people? I feel sorry for the horse, but that puts me in a tough position.

Sorry, but I paid $130,000 to learn how to do that, I'm not going to sell you drugs so that you can do it on your own. Don't chastise me for being "young" and "scared". Don't misinterpret it--I'm just being ETHICAL.

4 comments:

  1. Since you asked, I would prefer an ethical veterinarian. I recognize I don't have the training to diagnose and treat the animals in my care. I don't blame you for not wanting to sell the drugs to your patients' owners, but I supposed you could offer to write a prescription if they want to purchase the drugs and supplies online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could write a prescription, but it is for a procedure. It would be like writing a prescription for someone to get supplies to spay their own dog. Even though I could write it, I still wouldn't because I'm quite sure they don't have the skills or proper facilities in order to do the procedure safely and correctly.

    Kind of the same deal...but with horses instead of dogs and with the procedure of injecting joints instead of spaying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it. I admire you for ethical practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to your guns, VetChick!!! Declining to (illegally) sell drugs/supplies for a non-veterinarian to perform a procedure or treat a condition you haven't seen the horse for has nothing to do with being "young and scared" and everything to do with being ethical and protecting your license!! Pretty sure that person isn't going to support you if you lose that important piece of paper!

    ReplyDelete