Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"But I want more!"

So the area of our practice isn't the most affluent in the country. Most of our clientele have horses as pets to enjoy the countryside with; not as prize winning hunter/jumpers or dressage horses. Most equine veterinarians hate these type of practices. Don't we all want to work on movie star's horses and Olympic athletes?? However, I don't think there are enough high-profile horses to employ every equine veterinarian. Instead of being sad about the situation, I chose to embrace it.

As a service to our youth clients who are often strapped for cash, (I see many 'a 4-H families making many sacrifices just so their kids can have horses) I created a one day event to serve as a "vaccine clinic" for horses that was targeted to those 4-H and FFA kids. People can bring their horses on a Saturday, and we will vaccinate them at a reduced cost from the normal for one day only, and they have to bring them to us.

Today I get two phone calls regarding the vaccine clinic: one guy who was so excited about it, he had to call to confirm it was actually occuring, and then a lady. Oh lady...you are exactly what infuriates me. This lady calls to see if we could sell her additional vaccines so that she could take them home to vaccinate her own horses. After telling her that that was not the purpose of the vaccine clinic, she attempted to negotiate with me, "If I bring 3 horses in person, can you sell me 2 sets of vaccines for horses at home?" "If I bring all 5 horses will you give me a quantity discount?"

Let me make this easy for you. NO. Bring the horses or don't get any vaccines.

You try to do something nice, and people just want more and more. Ugh. Note to self: don't do nice things anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for doing what your are for 4-H kids! And while I get wanting to get something for less, its sad that people try to play others.
    : )

    ReplyDelete