Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Professionalism

I think that professionalism, manners, and etiquette are all going extinct. What makes me the most infuriated is when another veterinarian can't extend any professional etiquette to me. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD?? Sometimes I blame myself; maybe they don't respect me because I'm young, maybe it's because I'm a lady, maybe it's because they think I'm a push over. However, the more it happens, the more I think it's not really my fault. Instead, I think they're just jerks.

Recent consult from local veterinarian VIA TEXT MESSAGE:

Dr. Classy: Hey, I think that CuteHorse with massive, slow healing wound needs some attention.
Me: Why what's going on?

I attempt to call to discuss the case like professionals. (No answer, no return call.)

Dr. Classy (14 hours later via text): Don't worry, it was a hard case.

Uhhh? What?! It took 3 phone calls to the owners and a subsequent visit to CuteHorse to determine that the wound was actually healing quickly and extremely well. Dr. Classy just hadn't seen it before and thought it looked "weird" because it was an open wound. Wouldn't have a professionally placed phone call the asking proper questions cleared up this misunderstanding easily?

If you can't offer professionalism and etiquette to your colleagues, who do you offer it to? I hear it all the time from seasoned vets: "But Vetchick, I'm just too burnt out, too tired to do that." Perhaps I'm just intolerant, but if you're too burnt-out to treat people with respect, then you need to find another profession, or at least take a LONG sabbatical. Being burnt out is NEVER an excuse for poor service, poor medicine, or just plain laziness. Take care of yourself and do your job.

*Step down from soapbox.*

No comments:

Post a Comment